Thursday, November 18, 2010

Who Was I ?

One of my participants in the last offering of Bookstore 101 was in yesterday. She's interested in stocking a large selection of woman's studies books, and brought me one on a Hollywood star. I mentioned to her that the book could fit into two genres in her store: movies, and woman's studies. It hadn't yet occurred to her that if she had two copies, she could stock one in each section and still be true to her chosen business model.
Later, I got to thinking about who the most significant female writer of all time is. Here's a clue, and a puzzle for you:

I am the absolutely greatest female author the world has ever seen. I write fiction. I write philosophical books. I am dead. Who was I ?

4 comments:

  1. My first guess (without too much thought) would be Mary Wollstonecraft. Am I close?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No cigar !
    But certainly, she meets the established criteria: "Right of Women", and "Frankenstein".
    Hmmmm, wonder if there is any connection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the only other one i can think of that even barely fits in both is simone de beauvoir, but then again, i am remarkably unlearn-ed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zac's answer would have been my next guess.

    ReplyDelete