Wednesday, September 21, 2011

If You Have A Dirty Mind...

Do you have a sense of humus ?  The non-misspent part of my youth involved reading all the jokes from Bennett Cerf's humor books, Reader's Digest page bottoms, and in particular the Boy Scouting magazine, Boy's Life, Think and Grin page. My sense of humor is still rather juvenile, but I never play practical jokes, just tell old ones. I must admit that the most hilarious, and most extremely raunchy, jokes were told by Buddy Hackett in his Live and Uncensored show in the Catskills -
there was filthy humor, ethnic humor, and above all Jewish humor. When that show ran, we didn't have today's inordinate hypersensitivities so everybody was fair game, and all were skewered equally - equal opportunity and treatment at its best ! One cannot dissect Hackett's humor, and when one tries to dissect humor, you wind up with an absolutely turgid, boring book just like the one I just couldn't finish: What Is A Jewish Joke by Henry Eilbirt. I hate to put it into stock for sale, but I will. Fortunately, we just found a book we (read "I") had to have:
The Reader's Digest Treasury of American Humor. Welcome back to Boy's Life 1955, Phil. Enjoy !

No comments:

Post a Comment