Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Welcome to America - Now Speak English

We are a simple people here in the USA, and tend to avoid Briticisms - Smith and Smythe are pronounced exactly the same over there, but not here unless you’re a pretentious twit - and other foreign pronunciations in our daily discourse.

I’m a source of constant embarrassment to my colleagues because of my pronunciation of the name of the ubiquitous “Crazy Chicken” fast food places here in town. I do come by this honestly as I’ve always pronounced Ms Rand’s name as “Ann,” as opposed to the Teutonic  “Ein,” even though she never teutoned me. One of my greater fields of interest and knowledge is mystery novels, and I’d like to point out two non-Englishisms in that field. John Lescroart writes lawyer tales, and pronounces his name a la francaise:  “Les cwa.” Also, we have Karen Kijewski, with her Kat Colorado novels, who insists on “Kee-yov-ski.” And, let's not even think about Nye-Oh Marsh. Welcome to America, folks, and enjoy your eats at “Pole-o Low-co.”

No comments:

Post a Comment